KINETIC KNIGHTS
COMMUNITY
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • YouTube
  • Instagram
DONATE
Search

Updated: Mar 6

Well, hello there. It's been a while, hasn't it? Regardless, we're talking about robot progress.


I first want to extend a huge apology to everyone, being that this blog post is incredibly late. The last blog post was made right around when our exams usually start to kick in along with culminating assignments. A bulk of our build team was absent for the better half of those weeks to better concern marks. This in turn affected the blog, and that's why there hasn't been an update in a while. Basically, a combination of exams, culminations and preparing for second semester kept us away from making physical progress.


We are making very good progress, otherwise. The past few weeks have been a roller coaster in it of itself, kicking into high gear to really make this year's robot the absolute best it can be. James has done some great SolidWorks stuff for us over the build period. Still, even with the advancements we've made, there's still a few roadblocks in our way. The finish line is in sight, and we're eager to cross it.


We've ran into some issues regarding the code, but Danny and Tyler have been ironing out the kinks. To be completely transparent, we're cutting it extremely close to our first competition but as members of the Kinetic Knights we'll push forward like we usually do. The robot in it's entirety should be done and coded by the end of tomorrow.


2020 hasn't exactly been the shining year of better communication as I had hoped, but I'm certainly glad I was able to get a platform started for stuff we do in the future. I can guarantee that 2021 will have a stronger focus of the vlog and blog. This year we were just not ready, and that's something I should apologise for on the behalf of the entire team.


Regardless, I do hope you'll enjoy what you see at our first two competitions: based in Barrie and North Bay. I will have pictures of the completed robot up by the end of tomorrow as well. We've poured a lot of ourselves into it's construction.


Thank you for taking the time to check out the blog, as minuscule as it's been this year. Our off season along with next competition season will be loaded with updates, pictures and videos. Get excited.


Sincerely,

Justin, Lead Website Developer




Updated: Jan 21

Happy Tuesday, everyone! This time we've got a build update regarding our practice field.


Back in 2018 during FIRST Power Up, we were housed at the Lake Huron Learning Center in Kincardine. We utilised the large space for building a practice field, which comprises of usually wooden field elements seen in the gameplay trailer. This gives us the necessary experience when it comes to mastering the current year's game and how we can centre it around our robot.


During 2019's game, however, we didn't have a good opportunity to construct a practice field whenever we had to move build spaces. Not a deal-breaker under normal circumstances without taking into account the new space's size. At the time we were already under a pretty big time crunch with moving buildings, catching up on outreach events, and preparing for the season. The most we could do was construct field elements, though a full practice field for the robot to drive in was out of the question.


This year we're changing that for good. Currently, we're utilising our back storage room (which is incredibly cold) to finally build another practice field. That's what most of our time has been going toward during the past week. We'll have some visualisation on our YouTube vlog which should be up soon, though I should apologise. I had one promised for Sunday, though I'll be sure to get that upload schedule back on track as soon as I can.


Besides that, our veteran members and mentors are working very well with our rookie members to construct an Infinite Recharge field for practice, and progress is going very smooth. Ballpark estimate for when the field elements will be finished is around the end of this week or beginning of the next. The first field element was just finished last week, and it's crazy how tall this is.



(Even if things look a bit rough around the edges).


We've been prototyping the robot in conjunction with the field, and it's quite a big challenge for us. Though, the best thing about being a veteran team is referencing our past robots for mechanical ideas. It's really helped ease the workload and brainstorm time, as we've implemented quite a few past ideas into this robot. I hope that we'll have something to show off for it in the coming weeks, but all I can say is that we're working and we're working hard.


Anyways, that's pretty much all I have for a progress update. If any of you have any questions, please leave a comment or two below. I'd be more than happy to clear up any confusion that you may or may not have.


Best wishes,


- Justin


Updated: Jan 25

Hey everyone, Justin here again.


Talking with the entire team about the blog has generated a positive consensus, so I plan to make a progress blog every other Tuesday.


Along with this new method of communication, Eric and I have been chipping away at another (experimental) way of showing progress: a video log on our YouTube channel. At the beginning of the year, my goal was to improve the aspects of how our team uses social media. While doing this, I was approached by Eric about possibly recording a weekly vlog; documenting progress of our robot in video form.


Right now, our plan for a release pattern will be every Sunday starting next week. I do hope you like where we go with this idea, as I think it will be a good reference for future seasons.


Anyways, that's all I have. We'll see you next Tuesday where we talk about what direction we're taking our robot, as well as field progress in the vlog on Sunday.


- Justin