Updated: Jan 21, 2020
Happy Tuesday, everyone! This time we've got a build update regarding our practice field.
Back in 2018 during FIRST Power Up, we were housed at the Lake Huron Learning Center in Kincardine. We utilised the large space for building a practice field, which comprises of usually wooden field elements seen in the gameplay trailer. This gives us the necessary experience when it comes to mastering the current year's game and how we can centre it around our robot.
During 2019's game, however, we didn't have a good opportunity to construct a practice field whenever we had to move build spaces. Not a deal-breaker under normal circumstances without taking into account the new space's size. At the time we were already under a pretty big time crunch with moving buildings, catching up on outreach events, and preparing for the season. The most we could do was construct field elements, though a full practice field for the robot to drive in was out of the question.
This year we're changing that for good. Currently, we're utilising our back storage room (which is incredibly cold) to finally build another practice field. That's what most of our time has been going toward during the past week. We'll have some visualisation on our YouTube vlog which should be up soon, though I should apologise. I had one promised for Sunday, though I'll be sure to get that upload schedule back on track as soon as I can.
Besides that, our veteran members and mentors are working very well with our rookie members to construct an Infinite Recharge field for practice, and progress is going very smooth. Ballpark estimate for when the field elements will be finished is around the end of this week or beginning of the next. The first field element was just finished last week, and it's crazy how tall this is.
(Even if things look a bit rough around the edges).
We've been prototyping the robot in conjunction with the field, and it's quite a big challenge for us. Though, the best thing about being a veteran team is referencing our past robots for mechanical ideas. It's really helped ease the workload and brainstorm time, as we've implemented quite a few past ideas into this robot. I hope that we'll have something to show off for it in the coming weeks, but all I can say is that we're working and we're working hard.
Anyways, that's pretty much all I have for a progress update. If any of you have any questions, please leave a comment or two below. I'd be more than happy to clear up any confusion that you may or may not have.